Thursday, July 24, 2008

Aloo Kabuli/Potato Chickpea Salad

So I was to meetup some of my girlfriends at the local Shakespeare-By-The-Sea performance. I had about an hour to go and I was yet to decide what my contribution to the picnic would be. My kitchen yielded chickpeas and potatoes and tomatoes and onions..et viola!

This really falls into that class of Indian streetfood/snacks called Chaat - characterised by chaat masala. Chaat masala is a combination of roasted cumin, roasted coriander, dried mango powder/amchur and black salt/kala namak. Black salt is actually pinkish-grey in colour and adds a very distinctive taste. The dried mango adds sourness.

Onions, tomatoes, green chillies, coriander and lime juice are the usual suspects in any chaat dish. Chutneys are also usually common, though this salad is yum without them and much simpler.

A really effort-free and addictive addition to any picnic.

Ingredients

a can of chickpeas
a medium potato, diced
onions
tomato
green chillies
cilantro
chaat masala
juice of half a lime
ginger
garam masala

Method

Boil the potatoes and chickpeas together with salt and some garam masala till the potato is cooked through.

Chop the onions, tomatoes, green chillies and cilantro fine. Add the potatoes, chickpeas, chaat masala and lime juice. Combine and adjust the seasoning.

Julienne the ginger. Heat a teaspoon of oil, add the ginger and let it sizzle for a few seconds. Take the oil off the heat, stir in half a teaspoon of garam masala and add to the potatoes.

Cover and chill. Serve cold. Yum.

1 comment:

Srikitchen said...

first time to ur site! u have a very nice cooking blog here!

visit my blog while u find time! join in the chicken event going in my blog!

add us as a follower of my blog to have my recipes in ur dashboard itself!